Kitchen Cabinets Makeover

Kitchen Cabinets Makeover

Farmhouse Kitchen Cabinet Makeover on a Budget

The kitchen in the little french country house needed a facelift. The cupboards were plain wood. There was no detail, and they were very old. But, I was a single mom on a tight budget. I needed to do it inexpensively.

I saw this paintable beadboard wallpaper at The Home Depot and got an idea! What if I applied the wallpaper to all of the cabinet doors. Then, I could use door casing/trim on top of it to give them a custom look.

It was a long process because the previous owner had painted over all of the hinges and knobs. I wanted everything to look new, so I removed all of the doors. 

Then I removed all of the hinges and knobs. Everything got a thorough cleaning. I applied the wallpaper to the cabinet fronts.

Next, I let all of the hardware soak in the paint stripper in a plastic box. I used an old toothbrush to get the final remnants of paint off of everything. They looked brand new!

I purchased some farmhouse drawer pulls and a few more matching knobs. I wanted the hardware to POP, so I spray painted it all with Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze Spray Paint. They looked so good!!!

I took the door molding and cut the ends at a 45-degree angle. Then, I used my air gun and nailed them to the doors. I applied caulk to fill in any gaps.

I painted EVERYTHING white—even the insides of the cabinets.

I decided to hang crown molding while I was doing this project. There wasn’t enough room between the tops of the doors and the ceiling, so I had to move all the doors down about 1/2 inch when I hung them back up. (That was a pain in the butt!)

upper cabinets
upper cabinets [AFTER]

Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own. Please read my full disclosure for more info.

SUPPLIES

To Clean Paint off of the old hinges and Knobs:

TOOLS

HOW TO

Step 1

The first thing I did was clean all of the cabinet doors.

Kitchen Cabinets Before

Step 2

Next, I removed all of the cabinet doors, hinges, and hardware.

I used a piece of tape on the inside of each door and labeled them.

doors removed

Step 3

I started this project in December and finished it in January. I did most of the work outside. 

I wallpapered each door front and drawer.

Then, I used my miter saw, on the ground, in my garage. I measured and cut each piece one at a time.

cutting trim

Step 4

Next, using my nail gun, I nailed the trim around the edge.

Once they were finished, I caulked around the edges.

Here are all the doors before they got painted.

cabinet doors with trim

Step 5

I played out all of the cabinet doors in my garage and painted them using latex paint.

prepare to paint cabinet doors

Step 6

Here are the cabinet drawers after they’ve been painted. 

Now they’re ready for the new drawer pulls.

cabinet drawers

Step 7

Here’s an up-close of the lower cabinets before the knobs were added.

unclose cabinets

Step 8

I took all of the hardware and placed them in a plastic shoebox. I added paint stripper and let it sit for a little bit.

I wore gloves and used an old toothbrush to clean off all the paint.

hinges
knobs

Step 9

They look brand new!!! 

But, I wanted all of the hardware to pop and give it that farmhouse look. So, I took the old hardware and the new drawer pools and spray painted everything in Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint.

They looked so good! (It’s been a few years since I painted them, and they’re still holding up!)

clean knobs

Step 10

Here is a closer picture of the drawer pulls and knobs.

drawer pulls

Step 11

I always disliked this halogen light above the sink.

So, I took a piece of leftover trim from the cabinet doors and made a little apron around it.

I painted it black so it would stand out.

sink light
upper cabinets

Overall, this was a lot of work. It wasn’t hard. Just time-consuming. I am so happy with the results, though!!

Whenever I had guests over, they couldn’t believe that the beadboard was actually wallpaper.

I would definitely do this again if I wanted to re-do my kitchen on a budget.

kitchen after

BLOOPERS

This was a very time-consuming project. And, I was on a timeline, so I had to work swiftly. I don’t recall any bloopers. But, I’m pretty sure that I had to cut some of the trim more than once. Sometimes I cut the angle the wrong way.

This technique seriously transformed the look of the cabinets and drawers. I am so glad that I did it!

If you’re considering doing something like this, you will be very pleased with the results.

Leave a Reply